Sunday, March 23, 2008

No more Indiana teams left

I just got done watching Butler fight to the finish against Tennessee. They were so close to pulling off the upset, and I still say that was goaltending when A.J. Graves drove to the basket near the end of overtime. I'm really impressed with how well this team without any superstars almost beat a team that was #1 for a week or so this year.

Not to make excuses, but I think the NCAA Tournament committee that did the seeding really hurt Butler in this one. While they should have been able to beat Tennessee if they were really a championship contender, they shouldn't have been a #7 seed. IU's #8 seed also didn't seem deserved at the time, though with the way they played their last few games, maybe it was accurate.

Purdue and Notre Dame lost yesterday, so we're out of Indiana teams now. So who do I root for? I picked Memphis to win it all, so of course I'd like to see them make it. But other than wanting to win my bracket group, I have no attachment for Memphis. I'd like to see Wisconsin win it all, representing the Big Ten. It would be cool to have another George Mason-like run from a team like Western Kentucky (who I haven't had the chance to watch yet) or Davidson. I think West Virginia has been playing well, but it's hard to say whether they'll be able to sustain it. They're in a good bracket, facing Xavier next and then possibly UCLA, who struggled with Texas A&M yesterday.

Memphis and Mississippi State are tied 8 minutes in. This should be a good game.

2 comments:

Barb said...

Butler came so close! I'm so proud of them. But now, I don't know who to root for. Definitely not the team that beat Butler. Why won't any of the Butler players make it into the NBA?

Tim said...

You can always root for underdogs, like Western Kentucky or Davidson. I think West Virginia has a shot too.

Butler doesn't recruit the superstar-type talent that usually makes it in the NBA. Mike Green or (eventually) Matt Howard could surprise me and have some success, but most of them are just excellent college team players. And that's a good thing for Butler.